Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Forget Summer, It's Race Season!

I did it…again! On Sunday, I completed my second half marathon with a personal record of 2:05:37. I am so proud of myself. What has worked best for me on my journey to fit girl status has been goals. Several goals. I need to be working toward something or else I lose motivation. So I schedule races on my calendar, races that I cannot run without training, to help me lace up those running shoes after work. The goal is always just to finish, but beating my first half marathon time of 2:15 was an awesome feeling.

The start of summer marks the beginning of race season. Racing is simply addicting. People line up along the course and cheer you on, making sure you don't give up on yourself. Running is 80% mental, so this energy is so important when you hit that wall at mile 11. I’m so excited to see how I compare to last year’s races, and I’m hoping to compete in a few new ones. A triathlon has been on my to-do list for the last 10 months, and of course, I'll be running the Marine Corp Marathon this October. 2012 is the year! Racing also completely changes your diet and how you treat your body. You start preferring fruits and veggies over burgers and fries and hot yoga sessions over binge drinking. It’s such a perk! What are your health and wellness goals this year? The couch to 5k challenge is the hottest thing right now. Give it a try, and I’ll see you at the start line!  


1 comment:

  1. Bravo! You were awesome... Love, Mom xo

    ReplyDelete