Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wear Sunscreen, Kids!

Since I've been so focused on health and wellness lately, I'm turning this post into a public service announcement: WEAR SUNSCREEN! May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month, and I have encountered my own health scare in the past few weeks. I have been watching an irregular mole on my stomach for several months when I decided to have it checked out before summer arrived. The mole turned out to be pre-cancerous. My dermatologist removed the mole and good skin around it on Monday, and I now have 3 inches of stitches below my left breast bone.

I would never let vanity get in the way of my health, so this procedure was a no brainier. The scar that will inevitably stay behind once the stitches are removed and the wound is healed will serve as my own daily reminder to wear sunscreen (and reapply often) whenever I am outside. Not only did "Tanorexic Mom" prove how truly unattractive tanning is, it's dangerous. I think back to the hours I sprawled out on the beach and in tanning beds (what was I thinking?!), and the burns I've received in the process. It's never worth it. Pale skin is beautiful - and will keep you looking younger with less wrinkles. We need to embrace our natural selves. I'm never going to have a sexy, summer tan, and for the first time, I don't want one. Summer is right around the corner, so be good to yourself! I'll still see you at the beach. I'll just be the chick with the floppy hat and SPF 30 in her hands at all times.




1 comment:

  1. Hi,Honey. This is what I posted on LinkedIn. I'm very proud of you,(always). Love - Mom


    Tish Ferguson: May is "Skin Cancer Awareness Month." I invite you to read a sunscreen message on a wonderful blog @ katecferg.blogspot.com - a radiant young woman ran the Jersey Shore 1/2 Marathon on Sunday May 6th! It was a great day. On Monday May 7th she had a surgical procedure to remove an odd mole from her stomach that didn't look much bigger than a pencil eraser. In the end, underneath the skin it was much bigger than that. It was big enough to make a mom cry. I'm proud of this blog because the strong woman who has the courage to share an important message about suncreen is my daughter...

    Coffee With Kate katecferg.blogspot.com

    I did it…again! On Sunday, I completed my second half marathon with a personal record of 2:05:37. I am so proud of myself. What has worked best for me on my journey to fit girl status has been goals. Several goals. I need to be...

    ReplyDelete