Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Let’s talk first jobs

Last June, I left the intern world and started my current position with my company…my first “real” job. I have been full time for almost eleven months now and with my company for more than a year and a half. Where has the time gone? My mind still thinks that come June 20th, I’ll be walking Bay Head beach again. As most of you remember, I graduated college with a BA in English – which essentially means, I am qualified to do nothing…well I can read and write. Yay. So needless to say, there have been LOTS of challenges with my new job. New industry, new systems, new rules (you can’t wear leggings as pants to work?).

During the first four months, I went home every single day and said to anyone who would listen that my company was going to fire me. My family tried to tell me this was not true, but I was adamant. I was never going to get it. Then, the craziest thing happened. I got it. It all started to click one day. Almost one year later, I still have days where I have no clue what to do next. I still have days where I sit back in my chair and sigh at my computer screen. But then the woman in the cube next to me states, as if on cue, “I feel you, Katie” (I love that she calls me that), and I don’t feel as miserable as I did five seconds before. She’s been working in this industry for years! We all have those days. The days where we want to walk outside and never come back; the days where we want to tell the person yelling on the phone where he can go. But we do come back (most of the time.) A couple deep breaths (and yoga poses in your cubical) can make it all a little better.

So to all of you newbies in the working world, I feel you. It can be terrifying and so overwhelming you could cry, but then the fog clears and things hopefully become a little brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment