Thursday, May 24, 2012

Work It Out - Choosing a Gym

Fact - few decisions in life are more complicated than choosing the perfect gym. When I was living in New York last winter, I decided that 2011 was my year to get fit. I joined New York Sports Club on a whim after having lunch with my mom. The year contract and $91 price tag scared me. What if my health kick lasted only three weeks as had happened so many times before? What if my internship ended and I couldn’t afford the hefty price tag? What if I moved away from the city and couldn't travel to the gym anymore? Turns out 2 of these three scenarios did happen in one form or another. I did move back to NJ, and my internship did end. But lucky for me, I stuck to my plan and started a new job in the city so getting to the gym was not challenging. I have consistently been going to NYSC four days a week for over a year now.

I definitely enjoy my gym. I attend Nina's Spin class on Tuesday evenings religiously…my entire office knows when it’s "Spin night." I run on the treadmills, use the free weights, master the stair climber, and have enjoyed a free personal training session. But the price is a little high for my “I have no money to spare” budget, and not having gym access on the weekends is less than ideal.

With that said, I made a call to the local health club in my new town, The Atlantic Club, to see what their membership plans consisted of. Anyone who knows this club (there’s another branch in Manasquan, NJ) knows that it is top of the line, and very pricy. When I made the call, I was informed that they had a nights and weekends membership for people just like me - commuters. The price is $79 per month, $11 cheaper than my current spend, and the club is a billion times nicer. I can enjoy spin and yoga on weekends, and run to the club from my apartment when the weather is nice. I’ll be sad to leave my rocking Spin class at NYSC, but I’m sure I will be more than satisfied with the three different Spin classes held at my new club. I am hoping this will be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Some things to look for when choosing a gym...

· Cleanliness is next to Godliness – Clean equipment, towels, locker rooms. It can never be too clean.

· Speaking of locker rooms – is the set up nice and safe for your belongings?

· Amenities – Sauna? Steam room? Daycare for people who have children?

· Group Fitness – If this is your thing, make sure there are enough classes available during the times you will be enjoying the gym. That 8 am yoga class is great, but not if it’s only held at 8am on Tuesdays and you leave for work at 7.

· Staff – Friendly, helpful? I love becoming friendly with the staff – they will always take care of you.

You will never go to the gym if you hate everything about it. Do the research, and hopefully 2012 will be your year to get fit. Now stop reading and go to the gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment